Friday, September 17, 2010

NOAA APT Reception Using an Icom + Quadrifilar Helix Antenna Part III

This post is way overdue, but here it is anyway as reviously I have talked about NOAA APT reception here and here.This past June 5th was the Ann Arbor Mini-Maker Faire where this year we demo'd real time APT Reception throughout the day. I had brought my homemade quadrifilar antenna that I made a few years ago, along with my ICOM IC-R7000 receiver, Mini-Circuits ZFL-1000LN low noise preamplifier, computer running WXtoImg which is my favorite APT decoding software, plenty of LMR-400 low loss cable, and an Agilent E3611 power supply to power the preamp.

Setup was ideal with the antenna being mounted outside the building we were in with an almost completely unobstructed view of the sky. The pass list was nice with at least 8 good passes throughout the day. One addition to my setup was that the night before I threw together a serial to CIV Icom interface:

This really made all the difference to receiving APT satellites. With a general purpose receiver like the ICom (still way better than any general purpose scanner) it has less than ideal bandwidth compare to a dedicated APT receiver. With the CIV interface, WXtoImg can tune the Icom as necessary to compensate for doppler shift as the satellite passes by. It will also automatically tune to the correct NOAA APT frequency. Previously I would tune manually by watching signal strength and listening to the familiar tick-tock synchronization sounds for best quality. This course was still not perfect and led to noisy signals. With WXtoImg tuning my receiver for me, there were no issues. I still had some slight noise on the extreme ends of the signal, but it is expected when dealing with the narrower bandwidth. This resulted with near-perfect images from horizon to horizon.

I was able to get some excellent composites from the day:


Along with some good thermal water temperatures:



Here are a few raw images showing both channels (in this case visible and infrared):




These are about the best APT images you can get from a general purpose receiver, which I have been totally happy with. It would be nice to have perfectly pristine images which I have seen others make, you would just need a dedicated special purpose receiver with the necessary frequency bandwidth to receive them.

No comments:

Post a Comment